Thursday, January 15, 2015

Aerial Photography

As a pilot I greatly enjoy anything that has to do with flying through the air. When  I do get any free time in the plane I usually try to take some pictures. The picture below was taken with my phones camera on a flight to Bozeman from Billings. It is looking south into the entrance of Paradise Valley. The picture is not great even by my standards I hope I can learn how to take much better photos by the end of this class. 

An aerial photographer I just discovered is Larry Mayer. He is out of Billings and seems to take pictures of the surrounding areas. I enjoy his work and hope to learn from his photos on how to take a good picture.

http://www.larrymayer.com/aerials.html

This link gives some very good tips on how to take great aerial pictures. The article mentions how composing a photo is a little different from the sky than from the ground. One problem is that a tripod wont work in the air. The plane is moving on its own and the article says to stabilize the camera on the window instead.  Another problem about shooting in the air is the photographer has to shoot through a window. This window is rarely made of glass in small planes. This can cause bad reflections, blurry photos, scratches and diminished picture quality. The article gives great tips and tricks to anyone looking to shoot from the sky.

http://photography.tutsplus.com/tutorials/aerial-photography-tips-for-your-first-flying-experience--photo-5071

No comments:

Post a Comment